DuPont Country Club History
Dupont Country Club is Celebrating 95 years of serving its membership and the community.
Nestled within the historic Brandywine Valley in the State of Delaware, the DuPont Country Club was originally built as an amenity and benefit for its DuPont Company employees and represents the rich traditions and core values of DuPont.
Although the Club was founded in 1920, the roots of a recreational club for DuPont employees can be traced back to the 1880’s. The Eleutherian Mills Mansion on the grounds of Hagley Museum was the location for the Rokeby Club. As members of the Rokeby Club, DuPont employees enjoyed sports and activities up to the turn of the century. Some years later, after-work employee activities became so popular that this diverse group of sports enthusiasts incorporated in May 1920 to form the DuPont Country Club.
The original Club facilities consisted of a two story frame house (originally the gun club), a baseball diamond with grandstand and three tennis courts. By late 1922, a nine-hole golf course and eight tennis courts were constructed.
Club membership increased rapidly over the next several years requiring expansion of the existing clubhouse and in 1924 an 18 hole golf course, designed by Donald Ross, was built next to the clubhouse. Five years later in 1929, additional tennis courts brought the number of courts to fourteen.
As the popularity of golf at the DuPont Country Club continued, a second golf course, the Nemours Course was constructed in 1937. As club membership grew, so did the need for a larger facility to enjoy all the aspects of this thriving club.
The next phase of expansion included moving the club to Rockland Road and the new DuPont Country clubhouse and golf course were dedicated on May 28, 1949. The Georgian Colonial style clubhouse included a grand ballroom, dining areas and rooms of various sizes for meetings and events. The new DuPont Golf Course, designed by Alfred Tull, extended from the back of the clubhouse. This new course was specifically designed for spectator golf. Six years later in 1955 the Black Gates Course was added and enlarged to 18 holes and in 1965 was renamed the Montchanin Course.
In 1990, a great opportunity presented itself and the 60-acre, 28,000 sq. ft. DuPont family home known as Brantwyn, became available for purchase from the DuPont family. Delaware’s former Governor, Pete du Pont, grew up in this beautiful Georgian home that has now become a much sought after executive retreat location owned and managed by the DuPont Country Club. Brantwyn’s eleven rooms on two flows are richly appointed with tasteful furnishings that lend them a refined, yet relaxed ambience.
Expansion of the tennis facilities continued through the 70’s and 80’s. In 1997, the new tennis facility offered a viewing balcony, locker rooms for men and women, a tennis shop and a room with exercise equipment. One year later, a complete fitness center was added with state of the art fitness equipment. The Fitness Center was moved to its current location in the club’s Rockland Room in 2009.
In 2003, the championship DuPont golf course underwent a complete restoration retaining its historic qualities of design while addressing the requirements of golf in the new millennium. In 2006, the Clubhouse underwent a renovation to update the facility and enhance the décor while maintaining the architectural historic design.
Through the Club’s history, many celebrities and professional golfers of the highest caliber have enjoyed the many facilities at the DuPont Country Club. The courses have been played by some of the golf greats including Betsy Rawls, Nancy Lopez, Julie Inkster and the legendary Bob Hope. The tennis courts have seen the likes of Wimbledon greats Margaret Osborne DuPont, Billie Jean King and Venus Williams.